Museums and galleries all over the UK are closed today as part of a strike by public sector workers over pay and pensions.
“Across the UK our members have shown they have had enough of a four-year pay freeze/cap which has seen their pay effectively cut by 20% as prices have soared,” a PCS statement said.
Museums that are closed today because of the strike include:
- Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales: all sites closed, except the National Roman Legion Museum.
- Brighton Museums: Brighton Museum and the Royal Pavilion are closed. Hove Museum and Preston Manor open. Booth Museum is always closed on Thursday.
- Bristol Museums, Galleries and Archives: five venues closed (Georgian House Museum open as normal).
- Durham Light Infantry Museum and Durham Art Gallery.
- Harris Museum and Art Gallery, Preston.
- Locomotion – The National Railway Museum, Shildon.
- National Gallery, London: a number of rooms are closed.
- National Museums Liverpool, all venues closed.
- National Museums Scotland: National Museum of Scotland and the National War Museum closed.
- New Walk Museum and Art Gallery, Leicester.
- Plymouth Museum, Devon.
- Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, Stoke-on-Trent.
- Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums: all venues closed, except the Great North Museum.