Your membership helps us to advocate for and support museums to make an impact and use collections to inspire people and change lives
In return we offer a gateway to knowledge and career enhancement through online resources, publications, events, professional development and seeing other museums for free. You are also joining the largest network of museums and galleries in the UK – our shared aims and values bring members together in a unique way to realise the impact of museums and their collections.
Join today and start making change happen
We are a professional association. Our membership is for all people working in and with museums, as well as volunteers in museums, galleries and heritage sites, students looking to enter the sector, retired professionals, people pursuing a career in museums, and friends and trustees of museums.
If you are an awarded AMA, FMA or Transformer, or are working towards these awards, you need to be a full/concessionary member.
Full membership provides you with all the benefits, including access to our professional development programmes and copies of our magazine, Museums Journal.
Concessionary membership provides the same benefits, but with a discount for full-time students, volunteers, trustees, and unwaged and retired workers.
Essential membership gives you online-only access to our content and doesn’t include access to our professional development programmes.
International members can join as an essential member or full member only (not concessionary).
Benefits to you
With your membership you can enjoy the following:
- Free entry to museums and exhibitions with digital members card
- Museums Journal online – the latest news, trends and practical advice
- Access to our free online training modules – Museum Essentials
- Access to online webinars
- Access to virtual and physical members’ meetings
- Email newsletters twice a week
- Monthly Museums Journal highlights newsletter
- Member reps in your area
- Discounts on one day events
- Discounts on annual conference
- Access to professional development schemes – *Full and concessions only
- Printed copy of Museums Journal – 6 issues per year – *Full and concessions only
We are a charity and we do not receive any government funding. The majority of our resources are generated through membership. Your membership allows us to continue supporting all museums and those working in and with them.
If you are beginning a post-graduate course or other course related to museum and heritage studies, becoming a member of the Museums Association can open up a lot of sector content, advice and courses to really help you on your way.
Download our student pack to read more about the benefits that help students pursue their museum career.
New student members can currently join with a 10% discount using the code: STUDENT10