Developing Self and Others
To make change and support impactful museum practice we need to understand advances in current thinking and best practice. We also need to be committed to professional development and supporting others to grow. To support our growth, we need to understand ourselves, by developing self-awareness and reflective practice.
- Reflects on personal values and what this means for own professional practice.
- Demonstrates an active commitment to learning and growth and is open to learn from others, both within and beyond museums.
- Demonstrates self-care, empathy, and care for others, prioritising community wellbeing and support as part of this practice.
- Understands the impact their behaviours have on others and adapts accordingly.
- Keeps up to date with advances in own field and integrates current thinking and best practice into own professional practice.
- Applies personal values in professional practice, where applicable.
- Develops self through personal and professional reflection, and seeking feedback from colleagues, partners, and communities to improve professional practice.
- Seeks professional groups and networks, within and outside of the sector to develop professionally.
- Ensures wellbeing is prioritised in all interactions.
- Provides others with regular feedback and coaches in a constructive manner.
- Prioritises values-led work and encourages others to share their values.
- Develops and shares professionalism and expertise in a specific area of interest.
- Draws on external experts, and resources to harness and build own knowledge, understanding and expertise.
- Contributes to the development and wellbeing of others, instilling confidence and trust through their words and actions.
- Supports and enables others, beyond direct reports to generate new knowledge and insights.
- Creates a values-led space to effect organisational and sector change.
- Fosters a culture of learning, continuous improvement, and one where wellbeing is prioritised.
- Role models effective working behaviours, self-care and values-led practice in words and actions.
For more information about Developing Self and Others, visit our careers section and ethics campaign.