Do you want to enhance your career, help shape the future of your association and get free places at our most popular MA events? Then don’t miss out on this great career opportunity.
We are seeking to appoint 15 member representatives across six regions/nations to serve for a period of three years. Roles are available in the following regions/nations:
- 2 reps in England: North
- 3 reps in England: South East
- 2 reps in England: London
- 2 reps in Northern Ireland
- 3 reps in Scotland
- 3 reps in Wales
The MA is a dynamic membership organisation, and we campaign for socially engaged museums and a vibrant and inclusive workforce.
Representatives are a vital link between the MA and its members, and attend meetings and speak on behalf of the MA. They help the MA keep in touch with what is happening on the ground and they communicate to and for the MA.
- A free place at our annual Conference & Exhibition
- A free place at our career events – Moving on Up and Don’t Stop Me Now
- Free enrolment for the first (or only) year of one of our CPD programmes (AMA/Transformers/FMA) – worth £120
- Contribute to the MA’s policies and projects
- Make connections with fellow museum professionals in your region/nation
The role is unpaid, but representatives may claim travel expenses, agreed in advance, to national/regional meetings and the annual representatives’ meeting.
Representatives are encouraged to champion the MA on appropriate national/regional committees and groups and to pass on information from the MA to members.
Skills and qualities
The skills and qualities required to be a representative include:
- A strong awareness of, and interest in, MA policy at a local and national level
- Good communication skills, including the ability to speak at events and through media channels
- The ability and willingness to take time out to attend meetings
- The ability to communicate with members
- The skills to report feedback concisely and objectively
Applicants must be current individual members.
The MA will keep all representatives informed on relevant initiatives, issues and activities and will organise biannual meetings to brief representatives and to allow them to discuss their role collectively and with the MA. Expenses will be paid to attend this meeting.
You will be assigned a member of staff at the MA as your point of contact and to support you in your role.
Interested? See what our current and previous reps have said about their role:
The closing date for applications is 1700 on Wednesday 2 December.
To apply, please email an application form (see downloads below) to firstname.lastname@example.org.