London AMA Support Group

Who are we?

We are a group of professionals from all different museums/galleries background working towards the AMA.

We aim to:

Provide a network of museum contacts in London and the regions.

Have regular events and work with other AMA Support Groups for discussion.

Who is it for?

For anyone working towards the AMA on any route.

What we get up to?

When the group was set up it was decided that we should meet at least once a month. Members come up with ideas for activities and set the agenda for events. We aim to work out a calendar of events a few months in advance.

Those that volunteer to organise an event act as the point of contact for other members.

Coordinators: Ella Hewitt and Sarah Dixon-Smith

Email: amaslondon@gmail.com
Twitter: @AMAs_London
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LondonAmaSupportGroup

If you want to post an upcoming event, have a question, or want to make a comment, please use the box below:


Comments

Sort by: Most recent - Most liked
Tamsin Russell
Professional Development Officer, Museums Association
04.10.2016, 22:59
The AMA Support Groups are an excellent went of extending your knowledge of the different functions and roles of a museum. It enables you at second hand to meet and interview people that may have a remit for particular areas of the Knowledge Journal; as well as more broadly. So why not drop the London Group a line and see when the next meeting is.

For more help and support please contact us CPD@museumsassociation.org
Tamsin Russell
Professional Development Officer, Museums Association
19.09.2016, 15:59
I have been making my way through a range of AMA Support Groups from a day in Manchester for the NW; a day in Cambridge for East of England, Skype sessions to the SW and the Sussex, Surrey & Hampshire groups.

If you want me to come along to one of your future meetings then please let me know.#

tamsin@museumsassociation.org
Anna Griffiths
MA Member
Interpretation Officer, British Museum
11.01.2016, 10:54
The London AMA Support Group is looking for 1-2 additional coordinators to help organise meetings, events and communication.

If you'd like to know more or to get involved, please email amaslondon@gmail.com.

Thanks!
Patrick Steel
MA Member
Website Editor, Museums Association
10.08.2015, 13:20
A reminder that there is no discussion group meeting in August.

However, there is an the upcoming visit to the National Trust's 575 Wandsworth Road on Weds 9th Sept, 3:30pm.

Abigail needs to confirm names with the property, plus spaces are limited and offered on a first come-first served basis, so email amaslondon@gmail.com ASAP if you would like to attend.
Anna Griffiths
MA Member
Interpretation Officer, British Museum
18.05.2015, 10:30

May's discussion group will be next week on Tuesday 26th May, 6:15pm – Crypt Café, St Martin in the Fields (one of the big tables by the gift shop).

Topics up for discussion from this month's Museums Journal:
•‘Don’t ignore Iraq destruction’ (page 6)
•‘Industrial Strength' (page 20)

Hope to see you there!
Anna Griffiths
MA Member
Interpretation Officer, British Museum
20.04.2015, 10:47
The London AMA Support Group's monthly meet up takes place on the last Tuesday of the month (unless specified) at 6.15pm in the Crypt Café.

At next week's meeting we will be looking at Body of Evidence from April's MJ, and also discussing cuts by looking at Cuts Threatening Free Entry and Staff are Paying the Price of Funding Cuts, also from April's MJ.

Hope to see you there,

Nazeea, Catherine, Camilla, Heike and Anna

MA Member
24.02.2014, 19:12
Please note, the discussion group will NOT meet at the crypt café tomorrow evening due to the session planned at the Museum of Childhood.
Megan Toogood
Freelance Events Marketeer, Royal Museums Greenwich
30.01.2014, 14:37
Hi, just wondered if any of network would be interestd in coming to this:

Culture Clash? Contemporary Arts in Historic Contexts
To coincide with the latest in a series of contemporary interventions, Yinka Shonibare MBE at Greenwich, Royal Museums Greenwich is organising a one day conference to explore the role of contemporary art outside the white cube.
In recent years it has become increasingly popular for museums and historic buildings to invite living artists to respond to their buildings or collections by curating, creati ng or performing on site. What has been the impact of this popular collaborative trend for artists, museums and their audiences?
Date: Friday 14th February
Tickets: £50.00
Call 020 8312 6716 to book your place.
See: http://www1.rmg.co.uk/researchers/conferences-and-seminars/culture-clash for abstracts and programme.

Royal Museums Greenwich
Romney Road
London SE10 9NF
Tel: 020 8312 6716
For more information E-mail: research@rmg.co.uk.

Please feel free to forward to any colleagues who may be interested in the conference.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria & Albert Museum
11.11.2013, 13:58

We are looking to recruit one or two new London Group Coordinators to join, Emma, Ed and I.

Coordinators organise meetings and events, manage our communication and networking systems (Gmail account, Facebook group, Linked in) as well as facilitate and share information and updates relevant to the AMA and its members.

Working on the above tasks can be used against your CPD log hours and it is a great way to meet museum professionals and improve your skills and experience.

If you are interested in hearing more please email j.davey@vam.ac.uk or amaslondon@gmail.com
Looking forward to hearing from you!

Jemma, Ed and Emma.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria & Albert Museum
19.09.2013, 19:47
The AMA discussion group is back - Tuesday 24th Sept.



We meet in the Crypt at St Martins in the Fields at 6.15pm (look for one of the big tables in the gift shop area as you come down the stairs).



Topics from the Museums Journal this month:



- Interpreting Battlefield sites

- Museums and environmental issues

- Museums and zero-hours contracts





The discussion groups are great way of developing your understanding of the current issues in the sector, meeting other AMA members and sharing ideas.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria & Albert Museum
11.09.2013, 14:14
Museums in Focus Meeting - Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum on 20th September (pm).
There are places still available. Please register your place by emailing amaslondon@gmail.com
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria & Albert Museum
27.03.2013, 16:11
We still have a couple of spaces at the next AMA meeting. British Museum on 18th April at 3.15pm. T

he theme of the session will be loans and packing.

Alison Hollis will give a talk on the loans request procedure and the admin side of things. Nina Harrison will then talk to the group about packing objects and the challenges involved with this and couriering.

If you would like to attend this session please rsvp to
amaslondon@gmail.com
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria & Albert Museum
18.03.2013, 11:04
March Discussion Group!

At St Martin in the Fields Crypt Cafe, 6.15pm Tuesday 26th March.

This month we will discuss the following topics taken from the March AMA Journal:-

> Head to Head: Should Tower Hamlets Council sell its Henry Moore sculpture?
>
> Article: How using objects can help change lives
>
> Article: The Curators - is curatorial work undervalued and under threat?

The discussion sessions are a chance to evaluate and consider current themes and issues in the sector, as well as being a great chance to meet new people and extend your professional network in an informal setting.

Hope to see you there!
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria & Albert Museum
20.02.2013, 15:55
The next discussion group will be on Tuesday 26th February at 6.15pm. (same venue as last time - the Crypt Cafe - St Martin in the Fields, Trafalgar Square).
The topics for discussion are taken from the February edition of the Museums Journal:
Derry: the UK's first City of Culture (with wider discussion of 'City of Culture' and 'Capital of Culture' titles and their meanings and outcomes)
The Leavers: workers leaving the sector
and from the 'Comment' feature - 'Is it the right time to invest in Capital Projects?'
Please do join us for this informal discussion session!
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria & Albert Museum
18.02.2013, 09:41
A few places are available for the February AMA meeting at the NHM - the meeting is tomorrow at 2.30pm, please contact Jemma Davey on j.davey@vam.ac.uk if you would like a place.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
31.01.2013, 14:42
Unfortunately the February AMA LG meeting at the NHM is now fully booked. Please do look out for details of the February evening discussion group though! (coming soon).
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
29.01.2013, 16:19
The next AMA meeting will be held at the Natural History Museum on Tuesday 19th February. The topic of the meeting is 'Donors, Patrons and Sponsorship'. Guest speakers will discuss aspects of the above including: Rachel Mackay (NHM): An Introduction to controversial sponsorship. Sophie Hargroves (V
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
16.01.2013, 11:52
We are planning the next AMA LG meeting for February 19th, on the theme of Philanthropy, Donors and Patrons . We are looking for a third speaker, if you would like to give a short talk or deliver a related activity (or know someone who would like to) please do get in touch! Details to follow.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
16.01.2013, 11:50
Happy New Year! Following the success of our first session, the next discussion group will meet on Tuesday 29th January in the Crypt Cafe under St Martin in the Fields http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/cafe-in-the-crypt/ We have a table reserved, please look out for the AMA sign on the table. We meet from 6.15pm. Topics for discussion (taken from the January issue of the Museums Journal) are as follows: - Use of sound in exhibition and gallery spaces - Education and museums - Museums and the local community The discussion group is friendly and informal, please let us know if you would like to introduce any of the above topics.
Anonymous
MA Member
20.12.2012, 20:40
hello, Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of all volunteer run museums in London?. How about Local Authority ones?. Thank you
Patrick Steel
MA Member
Website Editor, Museums Association
07.01.2013, 11:27
You may be able to find some of the information you want on our Find a museum search, but this doesn't specify local authority museums, or volunteer run museums: http://www.museumsassociation.org/find-a-museum/organisations

Arts Council England may have more information on these questions: http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
05.12.2012, 09:41
Christmas meet up!To celebrate the Christmas season and a year of hard AMA work, please join us at the Wellcome Collection to enjoy the seasonably festive exhibition, ‘Death, a Self Portrait’! We will then head off to a local pub for a Christmas drink afterwards. Thursday 13th December, meet in the Wellcome Collection foyer for 6.15.Merry Christmas. Jemma, Shona, Holly and Lauren.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
26.11.2012, 14:54
The AMA London Group - Discussion Group meets this Wednesday at Costa Coffee in Trafalgar Sq Waterstones.A quick reminder of the topics:-Theatre and PerformanceTelevision work and museumsVolunteersand an additional topic: PhilanthropyWe look forward to seeing you there!All the best.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
26.11.2012, 14:54
6.15pm
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Exhibitions Assistant, Victoria
07.11.2012, 12:50
AMA November discussion group topics announced!The first AMA discussion session will be held at 6.15pm on Wednesday 28thNovember (venue likely to be the coffee shop in WaterstonesTrafalgar Sq). (as from November's issue of the Museums Journal) Thefollowing topics will be up for discussion and debate:-- Theatre and performance and museums- Museums and the television industry- Volunteer programmesIf you would like to chair any of these discussion topics pleasecontact the London Group Coordinators on amaslondon@gmail.com All welcome and we look forward to seeing you there.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Office Manager and PA, Victoria
22.10.2012, 14:55
New!! The London Group will host a discussion group every last Wednesday of the month to share and discuss current and topical issues. The sessions will focus on two or three themes to be taken from the current Museums Journal and should be an informal (and fun!) chance to share and debate ideas. We hope this will be particularly useful for those approaching the professional review stage of their AMA. The first session will be held on Wednesday 28th November at 6.15, at the coffee shop within the Trafalgar Square Waterstones (provisional venue). We are looking for AMA members to chair each session, if you would like to chair the November meeting (or a future meeting) please contact the coordinators via:amaslondon@gmail.comDetails of the November meeting will be posted nearer the time. We look forward to seeing you at one of the sessions.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Office Manager and PA, Victoria & Albert Museum
08.08.2012, 10:42
The August AMA London Group meeting at the V&A is now fully booked.
Holly Booth
MA Member
Interpretation Officer, Keats House
03.08.2012, 10:18
Dear AMA London Group members,

Don't forget that we now a group on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/LondonAmaSupportGroup

Kind regards

Jemma, Shona, Holly, Lauren and Emily.
Holly Booth
MA Member
Interpretation Officer, Keats House
03.08.2012, 10:14
Dear AMA London Group members,

The next London Group meeting will be held at the V&A on Wednesday 29th August.

The theme of the session is 'Aspects of Conservation', please see below the timings for the afternoon:


2.30 V&A Grand Entrance: Arrivals and welcome

2.30- 3.15 Fashion Galleries: Tour of Ballgowns (optional for early arrivals)

3.15 – 3.45 Training Room: Metalwork Handling session with Sophy Wills (V&A)

3.45 – 4.00 Break, tea and coffee

4.00-4.15 Training Room: Paper Conservation with Susan Catcher (V&A)

4.45 – 5.15 Training Room: ‘Easel Painting Conservation – An Introduction' with Nancy Wade ACR, Guildhall Art Gallery and Private Studio

5.15 – 5.30 Training Room: Q&A

Places are limited so please rvsp to amaslondon@gmail.com if you would like to attend.

We will look forward to seeing you then.

Kind regards

Jemma, Shona, Holly, Lauren and Emily.
Jemma Davey
MA Member
Office Manager and PA, Victoria & Albert Museum
24.07.2012, 16:25
Forwarded on:

The ARA (Archives and Records Association) London Region are looking to run a training day for Archivists on the subject of exhibitions. As a result, we're looking for a Museum professional to give a 35 minute talk on an exhibition they have done which used archives, preferably small budget/small resources and if possible where volunteers have been used or if they could speak about how organisations can involve volunteers in putting together exhibitions. The talk is to happen late afternoon on September 12th. We can cover reasonable travel expenses (the training day will probably be held near Russell Square) and provide lunch, unfortunately we cannot pay the speaker. If possible, we would also like the person to take part in Q&A panel at the end of the day.
If anyone is interested in coming to speak to us please contact Anne Jensen at anne.jensen@newsint.co.uk
Emily Fuggle
MA Member
Curator and Research Officer, Imperial War Museum
16.07.2012, 21:23
Hi all

We are currently busy organising the next meeting for late August but thought it would be nice to have an informal evening museum visit in July.

We will be visiting the Wellcome Collection on Thursday 26th July, if you would like to join us, please arrive at the main entrance for 6.30pm.

The following exhibitions are running that evening:

http://www.wellcomecollection.org/whats-on/exhibitions/superhuman.aspx

http://www.wellcomecollection.org/whats-on/exhibitions/wellcome-image-awards-2012.aspx

and we can finish off the evening at a local pub....

We will look forward to meeting you. Please also look out for the new AMA London Group Facebook Group Page, coming to a screen near you very soon!

Best wishes

Jemma, Holly, Emily, Shona and Lauren.
14.05.2012, 12:25
The next AMA meeting will be held at 3.00pm on Thursday 31 May 2012.
It will take place at Leighton House Museum:
http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/subsites/museums/leightonhousemuseum.aspx

The theme will be Visitor Services and will include a brief tour of the museum, and presentations on diffferent aspects of visitor services in museums, including the role of the VS team, seasonal staff, volunteers and crowd management. I will send out further details about the programme and speakers nearer the time. We will also aim for a visit to a local pub after the meeting.

There is a limit of 12 people for this session. Please email amaslondon@iwm.org.uk if you would like to attend. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
16.01.2012, 14:41
Sorry, that should be Monday 6 February 2012!
16.01.2012, 14:40
The next AMA Support Group meeting will be held on Monday 6 February 2011 at 3.30pm at Imperial War Museum London, looking at collections and ethics. If you'd like to join us, please email: amaslondon@gmail.com.

Best wishes
Briony, Emily and Rachel
11.11.2011, 14:10
Hello all,

We will be holding the next AMA London support group meeting in 2011 on Thursday 17 November at 3.30pm at the Natural History Museum and look forward to welcoming you all.

If you’re able to come along, please let us know and apply for further details by emailing: amaslondon@gmail.com

We look forward to seeing you there.

Best wishes
Briony Benge-Abbott, Emily Fuggle, Rachel Mackay and Laura Wilkinson
18.08.2010, 11:53
The date for the re-launch of the AMA London Support Group has now been announced!

Please join us on 13 October from 2pm at the Museums Association offices, where we will be running a session designed to answer all those burning questions about the AMA that you always wanted to ask!

There will also be a special emphasis on Ethics in this session, which will be particularly helpful for all those nearing their Professional Review dates. If you would like to attend, please email: amaslondon@gmail.com

Coffee and cake will be provided and it will be a great opportunity to get to know fellow AMA'ers.
19.03.2010, 14:58
If anyone would like to flag up an event, or post a comment to the rest of the group, then now you can!