Weston Loan Programme with Art Fund extended for three more years
Yosola Olorunshola, 20.11.2019
Museums across UK will benefit from a further £810k of funding
The Art Fund and the Garfield Weston Foundation have announced a three-year extension for the Weston Loan Programme with Art Fund.
The foundation has pledged a further £810,000 of investment to support regional and smaller local authority museums to borrow major works of art from national collections.
The new funds follow £750,000 of investment in the programme by Garfield Weston, including grants towards individual borrowing, project management, training and education.
The Art Fund reports that the Weston Loan Programme has boosted visitor numbers to participating local museums by 40% on average.
The Green Howards Museum in Richmond, North Yorkshire was able to borrow artefacts from the Fabergé workshop through the programme.
“The Weston Loan with Art Fund has enabled our museum to loan objects from nationals for the first time,” said Lynda Powell, director of the Green Howards Museum.
“Our team has developed new skills in the management of loans and new multi-disciplinary collaborative ways of working.”
Thirteen museums across England, Wales and Scotland have been awarded grants in the current phase of the Weston Loan Programme, totalling £196,000.
The latest recipients are:
- Yorkshire Museum and Gardens, York, Yorkshire (£17,625)
- Doncaster's Culture and Learning Centre, Doncaster, Yorkshire (£8,539)
- Kirkleatham Museum, Redcar, Yorkshire (£25,000)
- Pontefract Museum, Pontefract, Yorkshire (£7,700)
- Pitzhanger Manor and Gallery, Ealing, London (£5,000)
- The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh, Brecon, Wales (£5,776)
- Oriel Ynys Mon, Llangefni, Wales (£10,746)
- Elgin Museum, Elgin, Scotland (£23,270)
- Wiltshire Museum, Devizes, South West England (£24,950)
- Penlee House Gallery and Museum, Penzance, South West England (£9,270)
- Reading Museum jointly with University of Reading, South East England (£17,900)
- Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, South East England (£25,000)
- Hereford Cider Museum, Hereford, West Midlands (£15,583).
Find out more about the Weston Loan Programme with Art Fund