The redundant blowing plant dates from 1860/1 and must be a hydraulic engine. In 1905 it was replaced by electric motors — at least one of which also remains in the base of the organ.
We have the following photos which might help:
— Bristol Archive — letter from organ builders Vowles to the Cathedral (2 photos). The letters give some technical material about how it worked.
— Photos of the redundant material in the base of the organ
— A photo from a church in Watford (with a larger wheel) showing what the equipment might have looked like when connected to other mechanisms.
Martha Alice Lewington
0117 235 0210