At the start of a new decade, the Museums Association (MA) is looking to the future and at the opportunities there might be for museums and the people who work in and with them.
The past decade has been pretty turbulent, and the next 10 years promise more uncertainty. So here are some tips to help you navigate the period ahead.
- Find your values Think about the issues that you feel passionate about and what values are at your core, and use them to guide your work.
- Get networked There has been a burgeoning of new networks including Museum Detox (@Museum_Detox); Disability Collaborative Network (@museumDCN); Front of House Museums (@FoHMuseums); and Museum as Muck (@museumasmuck). Find the one that suits you.
- Get skilled Courses can help you upskill. The MA provides tailored professional development including mentoring and events that can support you at every stage of your career. There are also our Museum Essentials online courses – look out for new content this year.
- Get out there Attend events, conferences, seminars and workshops – you’ll meet new people and get new ideas. If you join the MA, all our members’ meetings are free and packed with top tips and opportunities to network.
- Get social Use social media to make connections, swap ideas, meet colleagues and join conversations. Twitter isn’t the only game in town but it’s a good place to start.
The next 10 years may be tough, but being passionate and true to our values will help museums deliver transformative and life-changing experiences for our communities.