Join our wellbeing workshop
We believe that creating a culture of care is a key responsibility of organisations, and all organisations should prioritise and centre wellbeing in everything they do.
In 2022 the MA undertook research into workforce wellbeing in general and specifically the experience of those working with visitors, audiences and communities.
The research highlighted key factors affecting individual wellbeing within the workplace. As a result of this research we developed 13 recommendations to improve sector wellbeing. One of these recommendations was to:
- Develop skills to support the wellbeing of others as part of management programmes, training, and induction
We believe by developing these skills we can begin to address the range of factors and issues affecting wellbeing, including cultural, structural and resourcing deficits.
The wellbeing workshop
We are delighted to launch a new opportunity to develop these skills. We have developed a workshop with Jessica Agudelo, a consultant working in the wellbeing space, to explore the research findings and develop skills and confidence for leaders, managers and supervisors to support their teams’ wellbeing.
The aims of the workshop are:
- To understand wellbeing and what it means for individuals, specifically those from diverse backgrounds
- To explore the needs of your teams and the impacts of your own approaches and behaviours
- To enable you to use your professional power to support the wellbeing of others within your organisation
- To develop an action plan to embed a culture of care
By the end of the workshop participants should:
- Feel more confident and competent to support wellbeing, with a clear understanding of best practice and a plan of action
- Be conscious and supportive of the differing experiences that contribute to wellbeing, specifically for those from diverse backgrounds
- Be able to advocate for good wellbeing practices within their organisations and the sector
- Demonstrate competence in line with Level 3 of the Developing Self and Others and Level 3 of the Managing People, Money and Organisations competencies of the MA Competency Framework
More about Jessica Agudelo
Born in London of Colombian heritage, Jessica Agudelo (she/her) is a mental health trainer, mentor and consultant working with individuals, organisations and communities to develop mental health literacy that supports personal development and wellbeing.
With a background in health psychology, Jessica has over 20 years’ experience working in the mental health sector and has worked globally with organisations in Hong Kong, the US, Colombia, India, Poland, Spain and Italy.
Jessica worked in service development, designing and delivering national programmes to improve mental health literacy and skills. Jessica worked as head of membership and community reinvestment for Mental Health First Aid England and led the national roll-out of Youth Mental Health First Aid across all secondary schools in England.
She worked for Certitude – one of the largest providers of independent living support for people with learning disabilities and mental health needs in London, setting up Solidarity in a Crisis – a peer-led crisis helpline in Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham, and Connect & Do.
Jessica is currently a national trainer at Mental Health First Aid England and is a facilitator of systemic constellation work with families and organisations. She has worked with a wide range of organisation across various sectors including Royal Museums Greenwich, Manchester Museum, Nesta, the London Stock Exchange Group, Thrive London, Richmond College, Deloitte, HSBC UK, Lloyds Banking Group, and Leicester, Reading and Portsmouth universities.
When and where
The free, 3.5-hour online workshop will take place on several dates between January and March 2024, and will be hosted on Zoom. You will be able to choose one date from the following:
- 9.00am to 12.30pm, 25 January 2024
- 1.30pm to 5.00pm, 30 January 2024
- 1.30pm to 5.00pm, 21 February 2024
- 9.00am to 12.30pm, 27 February 2024
- 1.30pm to 5.00pm, 5 March 2024
- 9.00am to 12.30pm, 27 March 2024
Additional opportunities to engage with this subject will also be planned for 2024.
Expression of interest
Whether you are a leader, manager, supervisor, other member of staff or a freelancer, you will have a duty of care for others and this workshop will help you improve your management practice and the wellbeing of your team.
We want to support those most in need, who experience specific wellbeing challenges within their organisation and teams. To support this, we invite Museums Association individual members to complete an expression of interest form outlining their reasons for wanting to participate and what they hope to gain and put into practice from the experience.
How to apply
Please complete our expression of interest form to register your interest.
The closing date for expressions of interest is 11.59pm on 30 November 2023.
We are also open to receiving expressions of interest in other formats, for example a vlog or podcast. If this is something that interests you, please email Tamsin (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
If you need help completing your expression of interest form, please let Tamsin know and she can support you.